At Queen, we pursue very high standards of teaching and learning and invest extensive time and effort in the professional development of its teaching staff.
The Teachers seek to challenge and inspire students with high expectations; and use a variety of teaching methods that enable students to reach their potential.
Our approach to learning therefore involves:
- emphasis on subject knowledge and passion on the part of the teacher in order to inspire a love of subject in their pupils
- experiential learning as the starting point for all learning
- classroom teaching that carries the lesson to students with vigour and pace and stretches students beyond the constraints of the syllabus
- attention given to questioning techniques in order to mix higher level complex questions with more straightforward questions
- well-structured lessons that involve group work and individual work, supported by stimulating resources
- regular marking of students’ work that is detailed, individual and shows clearly how to improve/extend
- the use of Assessment for Learning (AfL) techniques, to identify prior knowledge, to engage students actively, to boost feedback (two ways) and to support differentiated instruction where needed